Sunday, December 18, 2011

Bless Me, Ultima (8-14)

The book is definitely getting more interesting as I continue reading it. I think there's something about this type of foreign witchcraft that interests me. It's not the typical type that is found in stories like, "The Crucible" that I've heard of many times. It's quite different. It's more on the "earthy" side, I guess you could say. It's more of remedies involving herbs and other such things. That was one of my favorite parts in this section of reading. I liked how Ultima asked Antonio to come with to help heal his uncle. I secretly think that Ultima, who is kind if the only one to really know his destiny, chose for him to take her place when she's gone. He certainly can handle it, especially since he proved himself worthy after helping Ultima heal his uncle. Antonio is a spiritual person, who has important dreams, making it very possible to help Ultima as his future instead of being a priest.
Which brings me to the next topic of the magical golden carp. He starts to question his own god for the belief that this fish is god. I think that's pretty weird. I also think he is doubting himself because instead of believing in a god he must trust to exist, this carp is actually there. There's no imagining of a god when he sees this carp with his own eyes. I think it's weird to worship a fish and all, but hey, whatever floats your boat, Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment