Sunday, December 11, 2011

Bless Me, Ultima (1-7)

First off, I'd like to say that I wish I knew Spanish. That would help me so much while reading this book, as there are many Spanish phrases and lines throughout. However, I do manage to understand what the kind of mean just by using context clues and whatnot.
In the beginning chapters, I've had difficulty getting through pages at a time. But I feel as though the book is getting better and better as I continue. I cannot believe that Antonio is only six years old right now. Why would a six year old chase his father and another man into the night when they are going after a killer? I feel as though the younger you are, the more fearless you are. You aren't afraid to make mistakes.
I really like how Antonio's dreams are so involved with the story. Just by knowing the first dream lets you know that his dreams will play a significant part in this story.
So far, I really like Ultima. She is very kind yet mysterious and I like that the audience is left trying to figure her out. I feel like something will happen to her later in the story that will turn people against her eventually.
I also don't know how I feel about Antonio having to choose his destiny t such a young age. I know it seems to be a big deal with family history and everything, but a mother telling her six year old son that he is to be a priest when he grows up leaves no decision for him. It's like telling your child to be an accountant. Childhood is when you explore your options and see what you're good at and discover passions.
These are my thoughts on the beginning impression of the story. More rambling to come next time!

1 comment:

  1. I know, right? How many 6-year-olds have to make major life decisions about what they want to do when they grow up? I was at least seven before I knew I wanted to teach . . .

    ReplyDelete