Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Tomorrow Code (Outside Reading)

   I actually never thought I would actually pick up The Tomorrow Code in a book store and purchase it just based on how it looked. As you can see, the book looks like a very science-fiction type of book, which it is. I've never been one to read science-fiction. However, my aunt, who teaches high school Honors English and AP English, bought me this book and said her students recommended it. I started reading it. It was interesting. Then, as the story developed, I found that I could not put the book down because the tenseness of the situations and the anticipation was great. Sure it is science fiction, but it kind of feels like it could be possible. Maybe the slightest bit, but it could be possible.
     Behind all of the science fiction-ness, there is something with a relationship between two 14-year-olds who happen to be the best of friends, Tane and Rebecca. They're both quite smart and are the masterminds behind the apocalypse that could be destroying all of man kind. I enjoyed how Brian Falkner told the story. He made it seem like everything seemed normal, but underneath it all it actually wasn't. In reality, this dynamic duo was sending code messages through gamma ray bursts using NASA technology telling the present version of themselves winning numbers to a random lottery, and also that a mist consisting of giant antibodies were out to rid the world of humans altogether. Seems legit. Not really. But it's the way he tells the story that makes it seem like a possibility. How they both have nothing to lose and they should just trust their gut and go for it.
    I thought the ending was really well done. During the epic battle of humans vs. mist, the author switches point of view several times in a chapter, to show the thoughts of different people going through different stages of severity of the mist. The way he wrote allowed the audience to sense the tension of the moment and the suspense of the situation at hand. Then, when everything was over, he had one very last chapter. It was identical to the first, but instead of starting it off as "the end of the world", he started it off as, "the saving of the world". It showed how they were going to go through the same thing yet again, but now they had the ability to do it differently and perhaps come up with a different outcome.
    I really enjoyed this book. Even though I'm not really a science-fiction type of person, I liked this book. It offered action, drama, and just a hint of romance. It showed me that you can never really judge a book by it's cover, as extremely cliche that is.



The Tomorrow Code by Brian Falkner

1 comment:

  1. This is the type of book I'd never pick up unless someone recommended it to me. Nice blog. Be sure to say hi to your aunt for me.

    ReplyDelete